Fruit kebabs are the perfect way to make a fruit salad more exciting. A great option is to make the fruit salad in one large bowl and then people can grab a kebab stick and create their own personalised fruit skewers!
Making Fruit Kebabs
They are super easy to make, just grab whatever fruits you have on hand, peel them and chop them up, then slide them on a kebab stick. If you don’t have any metal kebab sticks use some wooden ones.
Most fruits work on a fruit kebab so just choose what you have available – you could include banana, mango, pineapple, strawberry, raspberry, kiwi or melon. If you want to sweeten it up a little more you can brush a little maple syrup or honey across them.
Side note: if you are using apples and/or bananas, be aware that they will start to change colour as soon as you cut them and expose them to air. Try to leave these until the end to prepare, and if you can, brush them in some lemon juice. They will still taste fine when they are ‘browned’ but they won’t look so appealing.
Grilling Fruit Kebabs
There is something about grilling them that makes them feel more treat like than if you were just to have them cold. If you are serving fruit salad at a BBQ then it makes perfect sense to give guests the opportunity to grill the fruit kebabs. Alternatively, they can be made in an air fryer, if you have one, or simply under the oven grill in your oven.
What To Serve With Fruit Kebabs
You could just serve them as they are, or, you could add some optional extras;
- Melted chocolate
- Maple syrup/honey
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 8 strawberries, halved
- 1 mango, peeled and cubed
- 1 pineapple, peeled and cubed
- 2 kiwis, peeled and sliced
- If you are using wooden skewers soak them in water for 20 minutes prior to using. While they are soaking prepare the fruit. Alternatively use metal skewers.
- Thread fruit chunks evenly on to each skewer - or leave the fruit salad in a bowl to allow guests to create their own fruit kebabs.
- Optional: brush a little maple syrup or honey across each kebab.
- Optional: Place under a grill (air fryer at 180C/350F, bbq or oven grill) for 3-5 minutes, turning.
- Serve with some natural yoghurt (optional).
You can use any fruits you have to hand or that are in season.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 78Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 2mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 3gSugar: 14gProtein: 1g