As the colder days creep in our soup maker is back to almost daily use. The simplicity of literally throwing everything in and pressing a few buttons still amazes me, despite how many times I’ve used it!
I love the sweetness of parsnips, we quite often have them with a Sunday roast, they get fought over more than the roast potatoes! I bought more this week with the intention of making a soup.
The great thing about soup is you can take a main ingredient (in this case parsnips), and experiment with different herbs and spices. With just the addition of 2tsps of curry powder this simple parsnip soup has become a curried one 🙂
You can also add any seasoning or garnish you like at the end, once the soup has been poured out. This way you can do a taste test and decide if it needs anything else. Today I was in the mood for a little extra kick, so I added a pinch of crushed red chillies.
The taste can also depend on what stock you have used, and any salt or other seasoning that has been added. This is another reason to leave that part of the soup making process until the end.
I added 100ml of single cream at the end to give it a creamier and thicker texture, but you don’t need to do this. Or, if you are after an even thicker soup add more parsnips, a potato or double cream. Just remember to adjust stock levels accordingly.
If you enjoy this soup you might be interested in joining my Soup Maker Recipes page over on FB. Come on over and say hi!
Happy souping 🙂
- 1 tbsp butter/oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 parsnips, medium, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, medium, peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1.2 litre vegetable stock
- 100 ml single or double cream
- Pinch crushed red chillies, (Optional)
- Optional: sauté onion in butter or oil. Add onion and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients apart from cream and stir. Check minimum required level is reached - add more stock if needed.
- Set off on smooth.
- At end of cycle stir in cream.
- Sprinkle with crushed red chillies (optional)
Notes: if you prefer a thicker soup add more parsnips, or 1 medium potato, you will need to reduce stock levels accordingly.