In honour of World Porridge Day I decided to have porridge for breakfast today.
Making porridge in a microwave is so easy, and although the ready made microwave porridge packets are really handy, making it yourself is just as simple. Not only that, it is cheaper and more nutritious.
Porridge offers a really nutrient dense start to the day, and it leaves you feeling full up for ages. The great thing is, you can add as many different fruits, nuts, seeds and spices to it as you wish, providing variety and added health benefits.
Today I went for a straight forward Spiced Apple Porridge, but you can have it plain, or substitute in other ingredients, depending on what you have available.
This recipe serves between 1 and 2, depending on how hungry you are!
- 90 g Jumbo rolled oats
- 300 ml milk
- 1 Apple
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon, (or substitute with your choice of spices)
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp honey
- Half the apple. Peel one half, and chop into small chunks. Slice the other half and save for the topping.
- In your microwavable bowl, add the milk, oats, chopped apple and mixed spices (leaving 1 tsp ground cinnamon for the topping). Gently stir to combine.
- Without a lid, place in a microwave for between 4 and 6 minutes (depending on the power of your microwave, the higher the power, the less time it will need).
- Stop half way through cooking time to stir.
- When finished, stir through again to make sure it is properly cooked.
- Add sliced apples, sprinkle of cinnamon/mixed spices and honey to top of porridge.