Similar to Rice Crispy Cakes, Chocolate Cornflake Cakes are a popular childhood treat, especially at Easter time, otherwise known as Chocolate Easter Nests. They are equally easy to make, requiring very few ingredients.
How To Make Chocolate Cornflake Cakes
There isn’t really any ‘cooking’ involved when making cornflake cake, aside from melting the butter and chocolate. The rest is just combining it all together and waiting for it to set.
It really is a great recipe to make with the kids as they can do most of it by themselves.
Ingredients and Equipment
- Chocolate (milk, dark or a mixture of both)
- Golden syrup (optional)
- Decorations (chocolate Mini Eggs are a classic for Easter treats)
- Cupcake cases, or baking tin
- Bowl and spoon for mixing
- Saucepan/microwave for melting chocolate
Melt the chocolate, butter and golden syrup (if using) together. You can either melt them in a microwave, making sure you don’t leave it in for too long, or in a bowl over some simmering water on the stove.
It is essential that you don’t let the chocolate over heat or it will be too thick and you won’t be able to cover the cornflakes. If the chocolate does come out too thick you might be able to save it by adding some more melted butter, but don’t use water.
Stir the melted chocolate into the cornflakes, make sure you stir gently so that you don’t crush the cornflakes. At first it might seem like there isn’t enough chocolate, but keep on lightly stirring and they will all eventually get covered.
Once all the cornflakes have been coated it’s time to transfer them into either individual cupcake cases, or a larger baking tin – or a mixture of both. I found this mixture made about 30 individual cakes, but I did use smaller than usual cases and didn’t overfill them.
You can decorate them now with what you want, I like to use the classic Mini Eggs making them perfect for Easter treats!
Now you just need to leave them for a minimum of 30 minutes in the fridge to allow the chocolate to set.
Feel free to lick the bowl clean whilst you wait.
- 200g chocolate (milk or dark, or a mixture of both)
- 80g butter
- 4tbsp golden syrup (optional)
- 150g - 200g cornflakes
- Mini Eggs to decorate (or your choice of decoration)
1. Break the chocolate up and place in a heatproof bowl with the butter and golden syrup (if you are using).
2. Melt the chocolate and butter together. Use either a microwave or melt by placing the bowl over some simmering water. Take extra care not to over heat the chocolate or it will be too thick to pour over the cornflakes.
3. Pour the melted chocolate over the cornflakes and gently mix until they are all coated. Take care not to crush the cornflakes.
4. Transfer the mixture to cupcake cases, or into a larger baking tin, or a combination of both.
5. Decorate with Mini Eggs or your choice of topping.
6. Leave to set in the fridge for at least 20 to 30 minutes.
Store the chocolate cornflake cakes in an airtight container for up to 5 days (should they last that long before being scoffed!)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 113Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 91mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 1g