For the home cook in search of a quick, easy method to getting the most accurate measurements while in the kitchen a scale is your best friend. Most people don’t even consider scales, but, for those who do, this guide is for you. You’re probably thinking, ‘what’s the difference?’ The truth is that there are plenty of kitchen scales to go around. It doesn’t matter whether you are a novice or professional chef, multi-use scales are a great investment in the long run.
This guide is a break-down of things you should consider when searching for your perfect kitchen scale. You’ll also find our top five recommendations for the best food scales on the market right now.
Top 5 Best Digital Kitchen Scales (2018) - Our Picks!
Types of Kitchen Scales
There are three (3) main types of scales. Some are not as popular as they used to be but all of the scales can measure everything from flour to fruit slices and coffee beans.
- Digital Scale- Popular among millennials, this scale is the most advanced and in most cases, the least expensive. The more accurate of the three, the scale is perfect for those who focus on portion control. This scale also requires the least clean-up.
- Mechanical Scale- The second scale, known as a ‘spring-scale,’ measures using metal springs at its base. If you decide to purchase this scale consider the capacity, as not all mechanical scales are designed to handle any given weight. To avoid buying more than one of these scales consider how much you measure on average. Be careful, if accuracy is important, small amounts are barely measurable on a mechanical scale. Remember, that as the springs ware, accuracy will decrease.
- Balance Scale- The most basic of the three, this is the least accurate of the three scale-types. The good news is, there are no batteries needed and like mechanical scales, as inaccurate as they can be when measuring small amounts, they are still great if you’ve got a large amount to handle. As ease-of-use goes, this scale is pretty simple to operate.
Common Features and Functions
There are four (4) features that are common knowledge among those who have or will purchase kitchen scales.
- Tare Function- Ever wonder if you can set the scale to zero after measuring ingredients? Digital scales house this function. If you wish to measure one ingredient at a time, a digital scale is a dream come true. Now days, the tare function is also available on the Mechanical and Balances scales as well.
- Display- Both Digital and Mechanical scales allow you to see the numbers on the scale as you measure. Most also have auto-on and off functions with indicator lights on the display as well for ease of use.
- Measuring bowls and flattened surfaces- Most products come with surfaces and bowls attached for seamless measuring. There are differences however. The Balance scale surfaces for example, are reminiscent of a see-saw and can generally hold a large amount of any one ingredient. You can sometimes add a bowl atop either a mechanical or a digital scale to measure more than one ingredient if needed.
- Automatic Unit conversion-When on the lookout for a kitchen scale that fits your lifestyle, consider automatic unit conversion. Most people are unaware of how to convert one measurement unit to another, so why not let the scale do it for you! Auto-conversion is important since most of the time, scales tend to measure by volume and not weight.
Top Kitchen Scale Brands By Type
Now that you are a bit more familiar with the types of scales and what features to look for, here are the best brands per scale-type.
- Ozeri Brand; digital scales
- Taylor Brand; mechanical (spring) scales
- Pronto Brand; balance scales
Ozeri Pronto Digital Multifunction Kitchen and Food Scale Review
Right now, this is our #1 digital kitchen scale pick as it gets the highest ratings from our editors. It is made by one of the top brands in the industry when it comes to digital food scales. And we really like that this one has a nice, elegant design, so it looks nice sitting out on the kitchen counter.
One of the really nice features about this model is that it easily converts between American and British measurements, which is handy if you find a great recipe on Pinterest that follows American measurements. It covers the five measurement units: g, lbs, lbs:oz, oz, ml.
We also really like that you can get accurate measurements with your ingredients in a bowl thanks to the Precision Tare Button.
Once you’re done using it, clean up is easy and it’s compact size makes it easy to store away when not in use, or leave it out since it looks so nice and classy.
It does require two AAA batteries to run, but there is an energy saving feature where it powers off after two minutes of no use.
Another cool feature of this model is that it is available in a nice variety of colors to match any kitchen decor that you might have at home.
Other Things To Consider:
If you are a social media buff, some scales offer step-by-step cooking tutorials and may even come equipped with apps that feature things like recipes and meal prep ideas. eel free to share them with your friends and family.
Having an idea about which scale to purchase can help you pick the right scale for you. No matter which scale you choose, cooking correctly and accurately is the goal. There isn’t one type of scale that is better than another as it all depends on the needs of the cook. Hopefully, this guide makes the search that much easier.